#MeToo, feminist organizations silent on Chinese tennis star’s disappearance after assault allegations


Leading feminist organizations in the United States have so far remained silent about the disappearance and lingering concern over Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai, who accused a former member of the ruling Communist Party’s Standing Committee of sexual assault.

Fox News has contacted the press offices of the National Organization for Women and “Me too. Movement” for comments on her disappearance and questions about her safety after she resurfaced in recent photos and videos . None of the organizations responded to requests for information.

Fox News also looked at the groups’ Twitter pages and press release pages and did not see any statements about Peng.

Fox News also reached out to Time’s Up, whose interim CEO Monifa Bandele said, “First and foremost, TIME’S UP stands in solidarity with Peng Shuai in his decision to share his story.”

“To move forward requires considerable strength and courage, and at a high personal cost. We call on the Chinese government to thoroughly and transparently investigate its allegations. Her freedoms and access to the world must remain unimpeded as she seeks justice. ”

“As we work to reset the organizational structure, we remain committed to tackling the pervasiveness of sexual harassment and gender discrimination,” she added.

Me Too and Time’s Up were both trained to educate and support women who have been sexually assaulted or harassed. NOW was established in 1966 and is the largest organization of feminists in the United States.

While the NOW and Me too did not comment on the issue, the groups recently posted comments on sexual assault against women in the international community and the treatment of women in sports.

“Women have the right to participate in sports while feeling comfortable. They should not have to experience the added pressure of spectators scrutinizing every inch of their body,” said the woman. NOW tweeted on November 8, for example.

BLACKBURN SAYS IT IS “DANGEROUS” FOR AMERICAN ATHLETES TO GO TO THE BEIJING OLYMPIC GAMES: “YOU WILL DISAPPEAR”

Peng went missing on November 2 after publicly accusing a former senior Chinese government official, Zhang Gaoli, of forcing her to have sex despite his refusals.

FILE – China’s Shuai Peng takes a shot against Romania’s Sorana Cirstea during their first round match of the Roland-Garros tennis tournament at Roland Garros stadium, in Paris, France. Tuesday, May 30, 2017. Chinese authorities shut down virtually all online discussion of the Chinese professional tennis star’s alleged sexual assault charges against a former senior government official, showing how the ruling Communist Party is. sensitive to such accusations. (AP Photo / Michel Euler, File)

His accusation on social media was deleted within minutes and his disappearance sparked international outrage and concern against the Chinese government. It resurfaced on Friday in photos released by an employee of Chinese state television.

FILE - Next, Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli is seen at a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China on Wednesday March 16, 2016. Chinese authorities have hushed up virtually all online discussion of the charges of sexual assault apparently brought by a professional Chinese tennis star against the former senior government official, showing how sensitive the ruling Communist Party is to such accusations.

FILE – Next, Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli is seen at a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China on Wednesday March 16, 2016. Chinese authorities have hushed up virtually all online discussion of the charges of sexual assault apparently brought by a professional Chinese tennis star against the former senior government official, showing how sensitive the ruling Communist Party is to such accusations.
(AP Photo / Ng Han Guan, file)

She also had a video call with Olympic officials who claimed she was safe.

Peng “thanked the IOC for its concern for his well-being,” the International Olympic Committee said in a statement.

But his disappearance still raises questions. Peng is only the last person to go missing in China after criticizing the ruling party, with some people reappearing weeks or months later with little or no explanation.

Photos of Peng posted on Sunday by the China Open to social media service Weibo also made no mention of his disappearance.

PENG SHUAI: OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SAYS HE TALKED WITH CHINESE TENNIS STAR IN 30 MINUTE VIDEO CALL

“These photos and videos can only prove that Peng Shuai is alive, but nothing else. They cannot prove that Peng Shuai is free,” said Teng Biao, a Chinese civil rights lawyer. told the New York Times.

The CEO of the Women’s Tennis Association has also sounded the alarm on Peng’s safety. Steve simon video addressed to her published by Chinese state media Saturday, saying that while it was reassuring to see her, the video was “insufficient” proof of her safety.

FILE - WTA General Manager Steve Simon smiles during a retirement ceremony for Martina Hingis in Singapore on October 29, 2017. An email allegedly from a Chinese professional tennis player as a state media Chinese posted on Twitter heightened concerns about his safety as top sports stars and others overseas call for information about his well-being and where he is.  Simon, CEO of the Women's Tennis Association, questioned the authenticity of the email to her, in which Grand Slam doubles champion Peng Shuai says she is safe and that the assault allegation is false.  (AP Photo / Yong Teck Lim, file)

FILE – WTA General Manager Steve Simon smiles during a retirement ceremony for Martina Hingis in Singapore on October 29, 2017. An email allegedly from a Chinese professional tennis player as a state media Chinese posted on Twitter heightened concerns about his safety as top sports stars and others overseas call for information about his well-being and where he is. Simon, CEO of the Women’s Tennis Association, questioned the authenticity of the email to her, in which Grand Slam doubles champion Peng Shuai says she is safe and that the assault allegation is false. (AP Photo / Yong Teck Lim, file)

“While it is positive to see her, it is still unclear whether she is free and able to make decisions and act on her own, without coercion or outside interference. This video alone is insufficient. I’ve said it from the start, I remain concerned about Peng Shuai’s health and safety and that the sexual assault allegation be censored and brushed under the rug, “he wrote.

Peng’s accusations have been touted as China’s last “Me Too” moment, with some pointing out that such accusations are often silenced.

“The authorities never liked feminists or #MeToo,” Lijia Zhang, author of “Lotus,” told The New York Times, adding that those who “dared to speak” “have been silenced.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

China is set to host the next 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, but the controversy surrounding Peng has sparked calls for a boycott.

“The Chinese Communist Party has no value for life. If you don’t respect the line, then they will disappear from you. And that is why we think it is dangerous for our athletes to go to the Olympics in Beijing. This is something that seems to happen more regularly. So why would the US Olympic Committee send our athletes into this type of environment? “Senator Marsha Blackburn said this weekend on” Sunday Morning Futures “from Fox News.



Source link

Previous NextPlay Launches NextPlay X Soma Labs, An Innovation and Design Lab for NFTs, Social Games, and Metaverse Worlds
Next Museums and libraries: the essential connective tissue that holds together healthy communities